Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Go Green

Considering that today is Earth Day, I can't help myself but blog about this wonderful concept of "Going Green". Some may say that it takes too much effort, but to me, it is a way that we can respect this wonderful place we have been given and give back a little bit of the beauty for others to enjoy.

In honor of Earth Day (and the fact my car is being tempermental), I decided to walk with my Go Green bag to my favorite grocery store, Harmon's. I'm all about going to local grocery store's-they not only treat you so much better, but their products are so much better in quality!


So as I have been enjoying the sun and my day off of school, I decided to write just a few things we can do to "Go Green"....they are all simple, but if everyone were to pick up on them, we would be saving so much more!


1st: As I have shown in my picture above, get reusable bags for your groceries. So much paper and plastic are wasted everyday from customers throwing away their bags.


2nd: Stop buying bottled water. Buy yourself a reusable plastic, or even better an aluminum, water bottle and fill it with water from the tap. If you don't like the tap water-purchase a water filter that can attach to your tap and you will be eliminating all of the container waste that comes when we all go through 5+ water bottles a week.


3rd: Use household items to make your own cleaners for around the house. This reduces the amount of toxins in your home and the number of containers that you buy and throw away.
-Drain Cleaner: 1/4 c. baking soda followed by 1/2 c. vinegar. Close drain until it stops fizzing and rinse with boiling water.
-Glass Cleaner: mixture of half white vinegar and half water.
-Mold/Mildew Cleaner: lemon juice or white vinegar and salt.

4th: Buy food from locally grown farmers. It not only tastes better, but this will keep our local farmers in business.


I won't keep going on, but these are just some VERY simple things that will help our environment...hopefully we can all do a little better at recycling/reusing what we have and respect this beautiful place we call home. Everyone doing one thing will make a difference!


GO GREEN!

1 comment: